Healthy Meals to Cook at Home - Barley + Red Quinoa Medley
Friday, December 06, 2013
- 3 1.4 tablespoons Pearled Barley, rinsed & drained
- 2 ½ tablespoons red quinoa, rinsed & drained
- 4 tablespoons raw Golden Beets, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Purple Cabbage, shredded thinly & chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons Baby Spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Radicchio, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Carrots, shredded
- ½ tablespoon Scallions, sliced
- Zest from ¼ of an orange
- Juice from ¼ of an orange
- ¼ teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Honey
- ¼ teaspoon pureed Ginger
- 2 1/12 teaspoons Ponzu Sauce
- Bring ½ cup salted water to a boil. Rinse Barley and drain. Add Barley to boiling water. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer until just tender stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold water. Chill.
- Bring 1/3 cup of salted water to a boil. Rinse Quinoa and drain. Add Quinoa to boiling water. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer until just tender. Remove from heat, drain off any excess water. Chill.
- Prep all other ingredients as directed. Place in a bowl and combine.
- Whisk together ingredients for the dressing. Pour over mixture in bowl and mix to combine. Chill.
RI’s 5 Best Desserts
Hope you saved enough room for these...
Fresh Lime Mousse Tart, Pastiche, Providence
One of the long standing traditions in Providence is dinner in one place and dessert at Pastiche. We have top-notch pastry chefs producing tasty treats all over Providence but Pastiche is where we always end up. It is the perfect "end of date" setting for a finely made cappuccino and a slice of their lime mousse tart. This tart is the perfect aperitif. It's light and refreshing and paired with the java, it might just wake you up enough for a little dancing!
92 Spruce St.
Sweet Potato Tartlet, The Ocean House, Watch Hill
This seasonal sweet was one of the highlights of our fall dining experiences. Everything at the Ocean House is done right, from the moment you arrive. The fine dining restaurant, Seasons, serves some of the best food in Rhode Island and they wowed us with this dessert. Pastry Chef Adam Young has balanced the delicate flavors of sweet potatoes with cinnamon and honey perfectly. We can still taste the deliciousness.
1 Bluff Ave.
Tiramisu, d.carlo Trattoria, Smithfield
The western side of the state is covered by d.carlo Trattoria. They have been churning out authentic Italian cuisine since the day they opened. Today, under Chef Aaron Thorpe, they have raised the bar again. The pasta dishes are very good and we almost got too full for dessert. Luckily for us, we persevered and discovered the tiramisu. This was a delicious rendition of the classic and it had us licking the plate. The flavor of the coffee and the lightness of the filling were the highlights for us. It left us feeling sated and happy.
970 Douglas Pike
Nutella Pizza with Sliced Strawberries, Basta, Cranston
Sometimes, when you take your nephews to dinner, you end up with pizza for dessert. And, sometimes, it's really, really, good. We were there for the pizza anyway, so this was a natural. And anytime you can get the kids to eat fruit, it's good. The pizzas at Basta are some of the best around and with warm Nutella and fresh strawberries on top it was a really good way to wrap up a very good meal. Plus, we like the coziness of this restaurant, and surrounding Pawtuxet Village, especially at this time of year.
2195 Broad St.
Crème Brulee, Pot au Feu, Providence
Where else in Providence would you go for classic French? The Pot has been "the" place for the classics since the 1970's. Owner/impresario Bob Burke likes to say that they're not really interested in recipe until it's at least 150 years old. The crème brulee is among the best we've ever had...in the world. It comes in a soup bowl--not that tiny portion we've grown to accept--and the brulee'd sugar layer is like that thin ice that's forming on ponds and puddles across Rhode Island currently. It's pretty perfect.
44 Custom House St.
- Healthy Meals To Cook At Home: Autumn Butternut Squash
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home - Farro, Pumpkin with Pomegranate Seed
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home - Curried Chickpea Salad
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home - Spooky Braised Short Ribs
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home: Roasted Beets with Kale and Farro
- Healthy Meals to Cook at Home: Chicken + Honey Mustard Pinwheels