Organize + Energize: 5 Simple Ways to Organize Your Email
Tuesday, December 03, 2013
Here are 5 tips to help you get a handle on your emails this time of year and going forward.
When an email arrives that you no longer want to receive, take the time now to unsubscribe. You may be receiving emails from a company you no longer purchase products from or you are no longer interested in the information you are receiving. If you decide you want to subscribe again in the future, you will know where to find them. For now, unsubscribe. It’s one less email you have to open.
Just as you would tackle an organizing project in your home or office, use that same process to organize your emails. Set up and categorize folders. Once you look at an email, you will know immediately if you have to tackle it or if you need it for reference at a later date. Drag that email over to your folder.
3. Delete, delete, delete
The minute you see an email that you know won’t ever need, delete it immediately. One less item in your inbox.
4. Important events, dates, or trips
Set up a folder for important travel and event information. Instead of letting it take up space in your in box, mark the important date on your calendar and retrieve the email from the folder when the date arrives.
5. Emails you have to take care of ASAP
I’m going to get some looks from some people on this saying I’m killing a tree, but if you need to, print out the email if it will make you remember that you have to tackle it. Print it and attach to your to-do list. Most people won’t print it and it stays in their email and it gets forgotten and the task never gets done. Print it and you won’t forget about it.
By now you have weeded out your inbox and you probably only have a few emails left in it. Going forward you will maintain your inbox just as you maintain your physical organization with your mail and paper. Start fresh and stay on top of your emails and this will be one less stress you have to worry about.
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To An Organized Linen Closet
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons To Use A To-Do List
- Organize + Energize: 5 Tips For Easier Back To School Shopping
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Get More Free Time
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Organize Your Health Records
- Organize + Energize: 7 Tips On Clearing Mental Clutter
- Organize + Energize: 8 Steps For Organizing Your Home Office
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Keep Clutter Out Of Your Kitchen
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Stay Organized For Summer Outings
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Get More Time In Your Day